Saturday, January 15, 2011





1/15/2011 – Pet Scan results

Isaiah 43:18 – “Do not call to mind the former things, or ponder things of the past.”

Last week I had another PET Scan to look for cancerous lesions and this week I went to Dr. Joyce to learn the results. Good news!!! The 2 new lesions in the right lung and the gluteal muscle are GONE!!! Hah, take that, you cancer cells!!! You thought you were going to metastasize and we stopped you DEAD in your tracks!!! The 2 old lesions in the left lung are still there and their metabolic activity has increased slightly but is still very low. AND they have NOT increased in size – so we could say we have arrested their development!!! I guess the new lesions were inexperienced and gave up their fight immediately. But these 2 old lesions are more experienced and tenacious. They have been through radiation and infusion IV chemotherapy and they think they can wear me down and make me give up – HAH!!!!! They don’t know me, my support group, and my faith in God – they picked the wrong person to intimidate!!! Dr. Joyce said we will continue the Tarceva by mouth, re-scan in 2-3 months, and if the lesions are the same, we can go back to IV chemotherapy. So we have a plan of attack!!!!

I found this wonderful verse in Isaiah 43:18 – “Do not call to mind the former things, or ponder things of the past.” Basically it means don’t cry over spilt milk. Clean up the spill and get on with your life. For me this verse has physical and spiritual implications. Physically, don’t dwell on the physical aspects of this cancer, why I got it, the unpleasant treatments, etc. That’s all in the past. The unpleasant treatments I am still taking are a mere inconvenience and a small price to pay for life. Spiritually, this verse means forgive those who have wronged you, and ask forgiveness of those you have wronged. So, to anybody out there whom I have wronged in any way, I am sorry. And if you think you have wronged me, don’t worry about it; I’ve wiped my slate clean of any and all grudges and resentment I foolishly held onto.

After the holidays I returned to work with a different attitude. Remember I wrote on 12/21/2010 that I was not going to keep my door closed and miss out on my coworkers’ hugs and encouraging words? And I would smile more? Well, I did, and it felt great. Whenever someone asked me how I was feeling, I said fine, or great – I wanted to be really upbeat and positive and follow my own advice, which is, “If you act well, you’ll feel well and you’ll be well; if you act sick, you’ll feel sick and you’ll be sick.” Well it worked!! I have been back to work for 2 weeks now and I come home with more energy. I sit out n the garden and enjoy the swing and even take short walks, weather permitting. Al and I went to visit our friends Brenda and Al last night after work. I had lots of energy and stayed till 9:30! I surprised myself, and Brenda, but that is what positive thoughts - and being around positive supportive people - can do. You don’t feel your aches, pains, and discomforts as much. Yes, it’s all in ATTITUDE!!!!!

I was going to ask the doctor to reduce the dosage of the Tarceva, but I won’t do that now. I know what to expect, I know how to prevent or lessen some of the adverse side effects. This chemotherapy drug is my friend because it is definitely killing the cancer cells and I don’t want this germ to think it can set up house-keeping anywhere in my body and stay there. NO WAY!!! Like I told my prayer supporters at church, it’s time to bind this cancer and let it know who’s boss!!! I will fight it and I will win because God is on my side!!!

The Celtic Trinity knots in my garden are filled with smooth river rocks that can be used to decrease stress by rubbing them. I have not had to use them because I put my trust in God and believe His truths, so I am “anxious for nothing.” I am walking on air, praising God for the healing in my body!!!

Pictures show the Celtic trinity knot with the small heart that represents me receiving the Holy Spirit, the Word of God, and the Ribbon of Faith and Belief in God’s Truth. The other pictures show a planter with intricate geometric Celtic art and a Celtic cross with simple geometric designs. Remember, the geometric Celtic art indicates continuity and eternity, like God’s word - the same yesterday, today and forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment