Saturday, August 7, 2010

21st Century Version of Job




8/7/10 - time for some humor…I’ll explain the pictures after the telephone call.




I call this the 21st Century Version of Job – I confess this one-sided-telephone-conversation-with-God was not my idea. I saw a comedienne do it on TV and thought it was hilarious – just imagine the facial expressions that can go with this conversation! I apologize if I offend anyone BUT I honestly went through all these thoughts and emotions in the past 5 weeks!

“God, I see this verse in Corinthians that says you will not allow your children more trials and tribulations than they can bear. Did you really mean that? ...you did, I see; and do you consider me to be one of your children? ...You do? Okay……Well, I’m feeling a little bit overwhelmed by this lung health glitch and can I ask you a question?…OK, well, uh, forgive my tone of voice, um, I don’t mean to be sassy or a smart aleck, but (angrily) Who do you think I am, Superwomen??? … Because I’m not, God, I’m just an ordinary working woman in America and I can’t help but think you gave this trial to the wrong person. …..Bobby Cherry, yes that is my name….. I am the intended recipient? ...You’re sure about that?...Come on, God, this is my third bout of cancer, and if you count the precancerous mole the dermatologist took off my toe this spring, that counts for half… so that’s 3 and a half times I’ve been hit with cancer; I think It’s someone else’s turn, don’t you? ...Well, check again, maybe there are 2 Bobby Cherry’s. ….You just have one female listed as Bobby Cherry! …. Oh…. Wait! I know the problem! I spell my name with a Y, that’s why you don’t have another female Bobby Cherry listed! Look under the men! Yeah, I’ll bet that’s it! You know, Cherry is my maiden name and my husband is from Arkansas. I know for a fact that he has at least one cousin named Bobby Cherry, probably several; it’s a common name over there. Would you please check his side of the family? ...No? This tribulation is definitely intended for a female in Florida, …Hmmmmmm……Wait, How could I overlook this? The mix-up is simple. Bobby is not my real name, it’s my nickname; I’m really Barbara Cherry – try under that name….WHAT? …You’re kidding!!!! … ALTERNATE NAME LISTED IS ‘BARBARA’?????...Now wait a minute God, I know for a fact that there are 2 BARBARA Cherry’s living right here in Jacksonville, Florida; several yrs ago her medical records got mixed up with mine, She lives on the north-side of the city, but I live on the south-side – it was a real mess – collection agencies were after me, threatening my credit….it took almost a year to get it straightened out. AL and I had to finally go to the northside doctor’s office and show my picture ID and insurance card - Try the Barbara Cherry who lives on the north-side……what address did you say? …8821 Ivey Rd? …uhhhh…yes, that’s my address…Would you repeat that question God? … How many Barbara Cherry’s live at that address? … Hmmmmmmm …just a minute, let me double check …. Well, it looks like I’m the only 1 living here….And you’re sure this is the right name and the right address? … the right state?????...The right country? ...Do you have the right date, 2010 AD? Aren’t you omnipresent, God? Maybe this is for a Barbara Cherry in the future? … No?... how far ahead did you look?.....maybe you should check the far, far future? ...No?...Well how far in the future did you go? Infinity is a long way ahead!...Oh, you checked till infinity? …I see, it’s quick and easy for you to check; You don’t need a Hubble Telescope… Just how do you do that, God? And why can’t we see that far? …I see… We’re sitting on the time line and can only see where we’ve been and a little into the future, but you’re sitting above the time line and can see the whole thing at once, from infinity in the past to infinity in the future… So You’re sure it’s intended for me today?...Bobby Cherry at 8821 Ivey Rd, Jacksonville, FL ...Well, I know I’m grasping at straws; what did you expect? You still haven’t convinced me that I’m superwoman, and only a superwoman can handle all this!!!...WHAT? Did you say something about CONTROL? Well you hit the nail on the head, God BECAUSE I SURE FEEL LIKE I’M LOSING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!....WHAT?????....CALM DOWN AND LISTEN? …I MISUNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU SAID?...WELL, WHAT DID YOU SAY?????...Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, you said THAT (voice deflates) …I did misunderstand….YOU’RE IN CONTROL!!!!!!! …Well, that changes everything, doesn’t it, God?...I feel much better now!! you’ve convinced me. …and I’ve run out of arguments anyway ...

(finally sighs in acceptance)…So, God, What do I do now?.... Just keep on doing what I’ve been doing? ... faith, living water , armor of God, trust, belief, knowledge of the truth….Oh, You like my garden, do you! Well, I’m glad. It’s not as pretty or as big as the one you made in Eden, but it works for me, I’m enjoying it. And Thanks for sending the dragonflies and the butterflies. I just love to see wildlife – even the little slug in the big container tub! And thank you God for your wondrous and glorious creativity that enables my garden to flourish. Have I told you lately that You are truly magnificent!! …Yeah, well, I don’t say it nearly enough, do I? …must do better in the future – but You are truly magnificent!!!!!…and most of all, thank you for all the life lessons you are teaching me and reminding me of again. I’m sorry I took my eyes off you and doubted. I know the truth now….I love you too, God.

(click as telephone hangs up)

Pics 368, 369 – This entry is all about how God protects His people and that is what these 2 pictures show. I wrote previously about the Lilies of the fields on 7/18/10 and how God protects them – protects them because they will glorify Him when they bloom. Sometimes I call these lilies “Moses in the bulrushes” because they look like bullrushes by the water and, again, God protected Moses in the bulrushes, because He knew he would grow up to glorify Him. So I found a little sleeping fairy sculpture and put it between the lilies. But mostly I leave her on the garden side of the Bridge of God’s Promises. I wrote about the Bridge of Promises on 5/31/10. When I see the peaceful, serene sleeping fairy child, I think, look what benefits you reap when you cross over the Bridge of Promises into God’s garden!!! The butterfly stepping stone represents change in this life. You willing decide to accept God’s promises, to believe in them, and cross with Him into His garden – that is a change in your life, and change is good. Look at all the change God has wrought in my garden since I started it in April! The dragonfly stepping stone represents the heavenly host (from the story “Waterbugs and Dragonflies”), the heavenly hosts help you get across the bridge – cherubims, seraphims, God, Jesus, Angels – all are on your side, fighting for you! The sunburst stepping stone represents the Dawn of a new day, a new day in my cancer-free life! And it represents a healing scripture, Malachi 4:2:”…The sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings…”*

The peaceful, serene sleeping fairy child is under God’s protection – she represents me getting divine rest so my body can heal itself – Oh, this is truly the land of the 23rd psalm and it is glorious!! Let’s read it again!




“The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He guides me in the paths of righteousness for His Name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for Thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff ,they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of mine enemies (in my case, disease is my enemy now); Thou hast anointed my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life (mine will be a long life), and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”

Everything I have written to date about my situation is summed up in the 6 verses of this most famous psalm! And if you have ever dwelt for 1 day in the house of the Lord as represented by this psalm and my garden, you will not want to leave. The benefits are too great! That’s why I love to just sit in my garden and bask in its serenity! And the knowledge that God is in control!

*My sister Christine found that scripture for me. The entire verse reads, “But for you who fear my name, the Sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings; and you will go forth and skip about like calves from the stall.”...I’m skipping about now like a newborn spring calf!

No comments:

Post a Comment